среда, 20 июня 2012 г.

one epic morning


Introduction. Chiang Mai, Thailand. On February, 14 Tim and I went to the post office where we were supposed to pick up an invitation letter for his visa application. Tim was leaving for Malaysia  at 9:10 the next morning. No letter. The post office manager Mr. Coke said that he'd send his postman or even go by himself to Lampung, a town nearby where the post center for Northern Thailand was, and that he would do it at 5 am!  He took our phone numbers and promised to let us know in the morning of his mission complete.  Relieved, we went on our first Valentine date.

February, 15.
8.00.  We came to the post office at the opening hour. Mr.Coke was there. The letter wasn't. No one had gone to Lampung for our letter. Surprise - surprise!
8:05.  Mr. Coke sent Tim to the airport.
8:10.  Mr. Coke and I jumped into his car to go to Lampung.  Talking about personal connections! He drove like crazy, we had two close calls to getting into an accident.  It was like in a movie! I was distracting myself by texting Tim telling him that I love him. La-la
8:25.  We rushed into the post center. Mr. Coke grabbed a bag with EMS post for Chiang Mai. We rushed back into the car. He gave me a dull screw driver to open the bag.
8:27.  I tried and I tried but still no success with opening the bag with the screw driver. Mr. Coke took the matters into his own hands while still steering. 
8:28.  Mr. Coke opened the bag!!!!.... No letter......
8:29. Mr. Coke called on the phone yelled at someone really angrily as he was turning back to Lampung. FYI it's a REALLY bad manner in Thai culture to yell at someone.
8:35. We ran into the office again. Found the letter set aside on a desk. Turns out, someone had indeed given some instructions to take special care of that letter.
8:36. We're back in the car.  Speeding up the Highway on the way to the airport.  Two more close calls, one truck almost smashed us, to the side of the bridge. I screamed. We kept driving in silence.
8:57. I ran into the airport. Tim leaned through the security line to get the letter and give me a hug (such a man he is!). Thirteen minutes before the plane was to take off, my Tim went on board.

8:59. Back in the car, I sighed a sigh of relief and we both started laughing. Mr. Coke pet me on a  head ( a no-no in Thai culture) and shook his head, laughing. We headed back to the post office. On the way, Mr. Coke told me that the big truck which almost smashed us, it was not his (Mr. Coke's) fault. I nodded and said “yes, yes, I know”.


Afterward. Back at the Post Office, Mr. Coke brought me to the Post office master who was having a morning tea. I wai-ed (bowed) to the old man  many times with gratitude...
I had to take the motorbike we arrived on back home. In my three+ years in Thailand I had never ridden a kick start bike, preferring automatic for the simplicity of it. Mr. Coke helped me to start the bike and stood there watching me practice shifting and trying the breaks.  I saw worry on his face.  “Madame you sure you ride?”  “Oh yes, Mr. Coke!”  he came closer as my  bike “jumped” again.  “Madame  you sure you ride?”  “Yes. Mr. Coke! Thank you very much for all your help!  Bye- bye”. 

9:45  I made it home safely.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий